Baka Gaijin

I will be posting on this blog while I am in Japan from May 2, 2006 till July 10th, 2006 working as set photographer for a series of music video shoots of John Kaizan Neptune. Who knows what sort of adventures I will run across while I'm there...oh yeah Baka Gaijin is Japanese...it means Stupid Foreigner.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

rockabilly, sumo and rain

Wow, I wanted to write this blog so badly last night but this here blog thingy would not let me! So, I will try and renew my passion for the stories that I wanted to tell last night tonight in Kyoto. After spending Sunday-Tuesday in Tokyo I stayed in Kamogawa last night and then left at 7am for Tokyo again where we met with the producer and drove 5 or so hours to Kyoto where we are shooting tomorrow. It's pretty exciting because we are shooting at an over 400 year old temple, it's beautiful!

Okay, so Sunday! We went to Tokyo where we met up with David's sister and some of her friends and we went to a Jamaica festival in the rain. It was actually really fun desptie the rain. The are of Tokyo that it is in is nameless (at least in my mind since I forgot the name of it), but it is so amazing! On our way to the festival we crossed the famous bridge where people get all dressed up and just hang out. Sadly we were in a hurry so I really did not get any decent photos....but I'll be back there for sure! I was disappointed that we had to leave so quickly but on our way we discovered the Tokyo Rockabilly club! I was shocked! It was a whole group of guys dressed in their best rockabilly clothing dancing in a circle to extremely loud oldies music! They were actually pretty good.....going back there too! I HOPE!

Then we finally made it to the Jamaica festival where we enjoyed some amazing tunes such as "I shot the SheLiff", and "Stand up for your Lights". The band was actually rather good. The rest of the fesitval was just random stands selling way over priced shirts and food. So we left and met some of Kai's other friends for dinner which was also very fun. That evening we stayed with Jessie from Scotland. I haven't met a whole lot of Scottish people but she's the best one ever! What a lovely human she is. She has a tiny studio apartment in Tokyo where she let the 4 of us stay...along with her so 5 all together. We had such a good time joking around, laughing about pretty much everything, expecially "Jobbies". If you don't know what that means.....well I'm not gonna tell ya, ask someone from England.

The next day instead of going back with David I stayed with kai and we cruized around Tokyo until Diane (mom) arrived and we went around visiting some of their old friends. What a priviledge it is to be able to visit Japanese homes here. They are all such wonderful people an unique living situations. The last home that we visited we stayed at for the evening. My mind is blank on names tonight but the family was quite a treat. After dinner we sat around while the dad played guitar and Kai sang and we just had a general good time. It was so nice to be around another Japanese family with 4 kids, ages 10-23. I enjoy seeing how family "situations" in other countries work, ya know!

Oh yeah, and I saw a sumo wrestler on the train Tuesday! He was soooooo big! The photo is not great nor does it really portray his true size, but I'm putting here anyway cause I have to! Tribute to my first real sumo experience!

Anyway, I'm running out of steam for this here blog....so I'm in Kyoto! Talk to you all later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home